Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another really really really long bus ride.

Originally, my plan was to start in Peru, go through it and into Bolivia, fly from Bolivia to Chile, and bus across Argentina. This whole plan has been slightly modified a few times so far, as discussed in past posts, but I’m about to do a major detour:


I wasn’t in Bolivia long enough and I need to go back. Why? a) (Once I get there) it’s really really cheap. I can do a lot there for not a lot of money. b) The culture is completely different and interesting. Though La Paz is a big city, it doesn’t have the same feeling as a big city in the States. Santiago did, and for that reason, I’ve just left and am on my way back up the coast.


I could have tried to get a flight, but that ticket would have been SUPER last minute, and I’m sure it would have been expensive. So here I am, sitting on another bus, just beginning my 24+ hour ride. (I don’t really know how long it is -- the ticket didn’t say arrival time on it.) It cost me roughly $70 for a cama seat, which is basically a full reclining seat with foot rest, just like the one I had from Lima to Cusco. Let’s hope this bus ride doesn’t end with me getting severe altitude sickness again...


Right now, it’s 11:06am. We left 23 minutes late, so we’ve only been on the road for 13 minutes. I have a fully charged laptop, fully charged ipod nano, and 2 guide books to read. Sadly, there is no tv on this bus, so I can’t be entertained by movies... it’s just me myself and I for a whole day.


2:11pm: Right after I said we had no tv, a fellow bus rider went up to the front of the bus and flipped a tv down from the holder in the ceiling. Score!... except that it was playinga Denzel Washington action flick, and I don’t enjoy those. I opted for my ipod instead. I woke up from my sort-of sleep to see that we were pulling into a rest stop for lunch, so I gathered my stuff and left the bus. The food options were not so far off from typical U.S. rest stop fare: candy bars, cookies, french fries, hot dogs, etc. After a meal of french fries and a roll of cookies, I am telling myself it’s only a matter of time before I gain back the weight that I lost while in Peru and Bolivia. We’ve now just started off again, with me safely in my big leather reclining seat.


5:01pm: Are any of you out there snorers? Or droolers? Apparently, at times, I am both (sad, I know) and though I don’t want to say that I live in fear of being heard snoring or seen drooling, I definitely do think about it every day that I’m sleeping in a room with strangers. Well, the non-English speaking guy next to me just woke me up, I think, because of my snoring. I’m super embarrassed and I have another 16 hours or so on this bus with him. *Sigh*


5:20pm: I’M SO BORED!


6:58pm: SHIT! 2 things: 1. I found out how long my bus ride will be: 30 fucking hours. (Congrats to me! This is the first time I have used the f-bomb in my blog!) I am 8 hours in, so I basically have a day left. 2. I lost one of my bracelets. It was a pesky one that kept coming untied, so I guess I can’t be surprised and it does not warrant a f-bomb.

I’ve changed buses in La Serena. a city that my bus neighbor (same dude who woke me up for snoring) told me was beautiful. He also told me I should stay there tonight and fly to Arica tomorrow instead of this insane bus ride. That, or take some medicine. <---- his suggestion. I am without drugs and this second bus is playing the same movie that played on the last bus.


11:03pm: We’ve stopped in another city. I have no idea where we are, but I just got out to use the bathroom and I had to pay about 40 cents. Only then did they hand me toilet paper to use. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I’m not looking so hot... Back to sleep!


10:35am: It’s all turning into a numbers game here, folks. I slept for about 11 hours with not too much tossing and turning, I have about 8 hours left on this bus, and I have no charge left on my ipod. I’ve decided to charge my ipod from my laptop, thus decreasing the charge in my laptop quicker, but I would rather have music than the ability to blog. There is yet another action movie on!! Can’t we play something funny during this trip??


2:01pm: Eye on the prize! I’m almost there, just 4 more hours! The 6th terrible movie is now playing. Apparently my pleas for a non-crappy action movie were not heard.


5:03pm: We're here ahead of schedule!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOO! I'm so psyched to take a shower! Lesson learned: long bus rides aren't terrible if you don't have altitude sickness! I may have to stick with buses more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment