When I decided to come back to La Paz, the one thing I knew I was going to do for sure was stay at Loki, the same hostel I had been at before. It’s known as a party hostel, where tons of backpackers come to party and do little else, and though I didn’t know how much I would want to party after dealing with the altitude sickness nightmare again, I knew it would be a great place to meet people.
I’ll say this: Loki has not disappointed me thus far. I think there is room for slightly under 200 people, most of which are between the ages of 18 and 35, so you can always find someone to talk to. Loki hosts events and activities like poker, soccer games, and theme parties like last night’s party. The theme: ABC -- Anything But Clothing.
Yesssssss a kind of costume party!! For those of you who don’t know this about me, I am a Halloween fanatic and I own about 15 costumes. This party was right up my alley.
The thoughts started early in the day... what to wear? Should I wrap myself in toilet paper and be a mummy? Bad idea. If the paper gets wet, it will not only feel disgusting, but it will be see through and I will be flashing the whole bar. Or if it doesn’t get wet, one of the many smokers could accidentally light me on fire and that also is no good. How about a toga made from my bed sheet? Also a bad idea. One of the hostel rules is to never remove bedding from the bed. Crap!
At 3:30pm, there was a big soccer match on tv that the whole hostel was watching. Not really caring about it but wanting to hang out with people, I went to watch and saw that the bar was being transformed into a party room -- balloons, streamers, and signs were covering the walls and ceilings. I was feeling the pressure... I did not want to come to the party with a disappointing outfit.
After a beer, it came to me: shower curtain! Nowhere in the Loki Rules was it mentioned that you couldn’t take a shower curtain off of the shower stall, so I decided I was going to just go with it.
Around 9pm, the bartenders started showing up in their outfits: one guy in a dinosaur costume, one wrapped in tin foil, one wearing balloons around his waist, and so many more. A few friends went with the option of wearing their backpacks. I couldn’t stop laughing and had to tear myself away to go put on my outfit.
Right after I took down the curtain, I get yelled at by the cleaning staff. I promised that nobody would use the shower while I had the curtain on and that I would only use it for an hour and they begrudgingly granted me my wish. Before heading back to the party, I helped a friend get into his costume and off we went.
SUCCESS! Everyone loved my shower curtain dress, and thus I was given several drinks for having such a creative costume. Too many drinks later, I both loved and hated my dress. Sure, it was water proof, so I didn't care if anyone spilt their drinks on me, but man, this dress was HOT. So off I went to make good on my promise with the cleaning ladies. I changed into outfit #3 of the night and went back to a disappointed group of friends who much preferred my shower curtain.
No comments:
Post a Comment