Friday, May 7, 2010

But I don't wanna leave Cusco!!!

I’m noticing a trend here, dear readers... Once I’ve been at a place for more than 3 days and have met new friends, I don’t want to leave. It’s so wonderful to get to a new place, kind of lonely and sad, only to meet great new friends who you can explore this new place with.



Cusco has been amazing. It’s a fantastic city filled with rich histo

ry and is coupled with a crazy night life. It’s a very touristy city, which I originally thought would take away from its authenticity, but somehow it doesn’t.



So, the plan had been to go straight to Lake Titicaca the night I got back from Machu Picchu, but when we returned to the hostel at 2am on Wednesday, I realized I wanted a day to sleep in and one more night to go out.



I’m so so so glad I changed things around! If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have seen the American/British classic rock music cover band (from Peru) performing that night (photo to the left with an American dude in front signing along...) or wouldn’t have met the 6’9” Danish guy who I named Farmer David (because yes, he’s a farmer.) Or I wouldn’t have had time to purchase several hand-made bracelets that I’d been eyeing for days or wouldn’t have had my hair wrap put in. And I wouldn’t have paid to have my photo taken again with another baby llama!


Sadly, I’m now writing this blog post from a hostel room in Puno, a town on the edge of Lake Titicaca, where I was supposed to have gone on a trip to the islands today. The night bus that took me here wasn’t heated and my already aching throat turned into a massive throat infection, or so I’ve been telling myself.



I put off the island tour for a day, started a Z-pack I had my doctor give me before I left for such an event (don’t worry, I had him give me 3 so I still have 2 more), and watched American tv in Spanish while napping on and off all day.



Tomorrow, let’s hope this medicine really kicks in so I can experience yet another awesome part of Peru with some new friends. I just have to meet them first!

4 comments:

  1. your trip and experiences in Cusco sound so so fun. So glad you are having such a blast. Only sorry that your throat is now in full on rebellion. Have some tea (more coca!) rest up and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, eat. Eat the food. Eat the FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Azithromysin. Basically antiiotics in one package. You take them all then you're all better!

    ReplyDelete