Friday, April 23, 2010

Goodbye DC, Hello Miami

Well, I was going to write a blog entry the day before I left DC, but honestly, we all knew I was going to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. And I was.

Leaving any place you've lived for a long time is never easy. It doesn't matter if you've told everyone you know that you hate that place and can't wait to move somewhere else, or if your allergies in that place are so insanely bad that you can't sleep through the night from March - April... It doesn't matter. Leaving sucks.

On Tuesday night, I realized I never received a new debit card in the mail that I was supposed to recieve for my trip. I freaked out, called the bank, and was told that they probably could send a new card to me in Miami the afternoon before I fly to Lima. *Sigh* I then sat on the floor with my backpack and all of the things I wanted to bring and started crying. There was no way all of this stuff was going to fit, and I was already being as conservative as possible. Thanks to my new friend and roommate of 2 weeks (and a couple beers), we got through it by 1am. Super, I had packed something that felt like it weighed 500lbs.
On Wednesday, I got up at 5am, did a quick run to Dave's house to drop off more of my stuff, said/sobbed goodbye to Ringo, and hopped in a cab to go to the Brazilian consulate to pick up my visa and passport. After getting kicked out of the first cab for questioning how he said he was going to charge me (that's ok, he was super weird and scary) I got into a second, more friendly cab who brought me to the consulate.

An hour later, my sister had safely delivered me, only slightly wet, to the airport where she and I had a coffee. It was a tearful goodbye, and the rainy take-off in DC was fitting for my mood. But as we started our descent into Miami, the clouds were beautiful, the sun was shining, and I knew that things were all going to work out, like they always do.

So here I am, sitting on my best friend Crystal's couch, writing in my blog so you all know I'm here in Miami and not losing my mind. I leave tomorrow night for Lima and can't wait for my adventure to begin!! Love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Your best friend, Crystal? Wtf! Weak, dude . . . [No offense, Crystal. You know I love you and it's nothing personal. It's just that she and I are very close. You understand . . .]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I have a few besties! Crystal says she's willing to share me :)

    ReplyDelete