Miraflores is considered the social center of Lima, with lots of shops and restaurants, and a giant park in the middle. The description reminded me of Central Park in NYC, so I got a recommendation for a hostel there called The Flying Dog (another sign I was meant to go there -- it has the word "dog" in its name!) and made a phone reservation. How to get there? Taxi: 30 - 40 soles ($10-15) Bus: 2 soles ($0.70). Um, bus, thanks.
After careful directions from the front desk staff at hostel #1, I nervously walked to the "bus stop" a dirt patch next to the road where "buses" (in the U.S. it would be called a small, cramped van) kind of stop, some guy yells a million things, and people jump on as quickly as possible. I got on, paid for 2 seats because my pack is so big and it takes up its own seat, and looked out the window as we went through downtown Lima. It's not a very pretty city, I didn't pass much interesting architecture, but I was psyched to get to Miraflores after reading about it.
When I arrived, YES! Awesome! There were stores, restaurants, people with dogs (this time on leashes), food stands, flowers, and the large park I had read about, Parque Kennedy, strewn with flowers and park benches. I got to The Flying Dog, checked in, and got the private room I had reserved. So what if I had to share a bathroom at this hostel, I had my own balcony!!
Honestly, it was so important to move. My mood has changed, I feel safer, and I've met a bunch of people already. Sadly, I met someone from Texas whose last night was last night, so
we only had time to go out once, but it was great to go out with someone who I could communicate well with and who could share what she had learned while she had stayed here in Lima.
Now, off to explore a temple that is apparently within walking distance. Let's hope I don't get lost. But if I do, at least I'm not scared to be lost in Miraflores.
Remember, sometimes getting lost isn't a bad thing. :)
ReplyDeleteSeeing the wrong side of town will make you appreciate the right side but don't feel obliged to repeat that process in every city!
ReplyDeleteYay Alison estas en Lima! I can't wait for you to go the colonial parts of the city, that will be much more interesting architecturally than the modern parts (I think they call it Lima Centro?). Lima was the richest city during that period and the buildings should be grand.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, enjoying your posts and missing you tons.
Amiga! Todos los días, me gustaría que estuvieras aquí conmigo. Mi espanol no esta bien.
ReplyDeleteI went to Lima Centro yesterday. Blog post to come...