Ok, I know this sounds utterly insane. "But you're going on a TRIP OF A LIFETIME!! Why aren't you excited???" The truth of the matter is this: much like in life, when you're planning a trip like this, a million things end up popping up that you didn't expect.
Take, for example, my travel health considerations. I knew I would need Hep A and Hep B vaccines, along with a yellow fever vaccine, and malaria pills. The overall guide book told me it would cost around $600 total. Wrong.
So far, my grand total exceeds $1200 and I haven't filled my prescription for typhoid pills or malaria pills (which may or may not be covered by health insurance - yay!) Every time I feel like I have some aspect of the trip taken care of, this sort of thing happens, and it's super frustrating.
I'm writing this blog post not to complain, but so in a few years I can remember that preparing for this was far from easy. And so anyone who wants to do a trip like this also has fair warning. Sure, I know I'm super anal, and that's why I refuse to risk it by NOT getting the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine... But unless you are willing to be risky, you'll end up having to get (and pay for) LOTS of things you didn't think about during the dream & planning stages of your trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment