Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Salt Flats Tour: Day 2 or My ass is asleep.


The next morning, we were awake at 6am and were out of the salt hotel by 6:30. Quietly, we all sat and ate our delicious breakfast of rolls and coffee and I wondered why the hell we had to be awake this early.



We all piled into the car not realizing that this would be the most cramped day in a car we (or at least I) had ever had... Due to the length of this day, instead of an hour by hour recount, I will instead give you the highlights of what we saw:

1. First on our list was seeing a non-active volcano. I

took a photo or two but was more interested in taking photos of Moya’s socks and Jack’s Tom Sellek-like German porno sweater (doesn't it look like he should be laying on a bear-skin rug in a cabin?)



2. A lake that had mass amounts of arsenic in it, hence the photo with the skull and crossbones. Again, I found it more entertaining t

o photograph my new friends acting like assholes. (Are you wondering why I spent $100 on this tour? I am.)



3. An unintended stop to feed a lone, baby fox that was living near the poisonous lake. Jimmy, our driver, gave him some food scraps.




4. Arbol de Petra: weird rock formations that are in the middle of the desert and make for good photos. After may

be 3 minutes of climbing the rocks, I decided I wanted to take photos of me kung-fu kicking the big, strange rock. The photo shown is the best take we could get. Disappointing. After that let-down, Caitlin and I locked arms as I brought her back to the car where Jimmy, not an idiot like those of us who were exposing ourselves to the elements, was


waiting for us all.



5. Into The Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve where we all started pooling our money together because none of us took out enough. With a combination of dollars and bolivianos, we got our tickets. Teamwork!









6. On to see Laguna Colorada. This pink lake is pink because of natural algae, not some other caustic element. Apparently tons of flamingoes are here when it’s not -35 degrees out like it was when we were there (kidding... it wasn’t that cold.) We saw something like 12 of them. In all seriousness though, the pink color is pretty amazing.





10 hours later, we arrived at our next “hotel.” We had been warned that this night would be cold, but by 9pm, I could barely feel my feet. I slept that night in the same outfit I wore all day because I couldn’t imagine getting undressed in such cold. Actually, I also slept in my coat, hat, and mittens too.

No comments:

Post a Comment