Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ah, Verena, Sweet Verena

I just spent less than 48 hours in Argentina’s second biggest city, Cordoba, but I could not feel more refreshed and happy. This is all due to my new and now very good friend, Verena.


I’ve mentioned Verena in a past post of mine, 2 Israelis, 1 Argentinean, 1 American, and 1 “Jungle Boy” Walk into a Bar. She’s the Argentinean. I met Verena that one night in Cusco, and again the next afternoon before she was heading back home after her 3 weeks of travel. She had mentioned at the bar, probably after we had known each other for less than 2 hours, that if I were to come to Cordoba, I would have to stay with her.


I’ve met enough people who offer false promises that I didn’t really take her too seriously that night. But the next day as she said her tearful goodbyes to everyone, I told her I would do my best to make a stop in her home town.


Within a day, we were Facebook friends. A few days later, I posted some photos from my time in Cusco and she commented on them. We wrote back and forth a little bit and I mentioned that I was still hoping to come and she exclaimed that she would love to have me.



***** BREAKING NEWS!!!************


I am interrupting myself to let you all know that THERE IS WIFI ON MY BUS FROM CORDOBA TO BUENOS AIRES!!! WHAT???!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?! I’M TOTALLY FREAKING OUT WITH EXCITEMENT!


Whew. Sorry. I am a crazy person over the wifi. To think that I can post stuff WHILE I’M ON A BUS but can’t when I’m in a hostel?? HUH?!?!


Okay, I’m done now, back to my touching story about my new friend, Verena.


I’M SORRY! I CAN’T STOP! I’M STILL SO AMAZED! THE WIFI IN DC IS SHIT COMPARED TO THIS! I’M MOVING TO ARGENTINA! I CAN FLUSH TOILET PAPER DOWN A TOILET HERE AND CAN GET WIFI ON A BUS? DONE!!


___________

Once i knew I was going to go back up to Bolivia and I changed the route of my trip, I knew Cordoba would fit in nicely. I would have to go from Salta to Buenos Aires, so why not make a pit stop to see a new friend?


Throughout all of the IMing and emailing, Verena never once seemed to get frustrated with me. My plans changed daily. I couldn’t nail down a specific day that I would be there. Always though, she told me how excited she was and that she would pick me up from the bus station etc etc.


The day before I arrived, I emailed her to confirm that it would be okay if I visited. Why did I even ask? Of course it was okay. She picked me up, as promised, at 8am when my bus arrived and welcomed me with open arms as if I was a long lost friend or a family member that she hadn’t seen in years. She had taken off the day from work so that we could do whatever my little heart desired.

When we got to her house, she made me breakfast and we sat down to eat together. 3 hours later, we were still laughing and talking about my travels, her travels, and life in general. I felt like I could sit there all day... Sometimes it’s so nice to have a relaxing, comfortable day in with a friend.


After taking a long shower, putting some laundry in the wash, and drinking more mate, we ultimately decided to go out so I could see Cordoba. We walked through Nueva Cordoba and downtown, saw the Jesuit Block which consists of a group of buildings dating from the 17th century , and finally stopped at a fresh seafood market where we had lunch and (surprise!) sat for a few more hours and talked. When we finally left, we had to stop by her work place where she surprised me with a massage (Verena and her mother own what in English would basically translate to a spa.) :)


That night, we went to an amazing restaurant where a new friend of Verena's/the owner treated us to wine, dessert, champagne, and appetizers... All we had to pay for was our entrees!! The owner and his friend didn't speak English, and my Spanish isn't too fantastic, but somehow we all managed to communicate and it ended up being one of the most enjoyable dinners I've had since leaving the States.


The next day, after a night where I had MY OWN ROOM with a bed bigger than a single that had sheets that I wasn't afraid to sleep in, Verena went to work for the afternoon while I spent the day lounging, doing my hair, and trying to make myself feel like I wasn't a backpacker. I went out to buy my bus ticket to Buenos Aires and also to buy groceries at the store so I could make Verena dinner.


The thought of cooking was making me antsy... I was so psyched to use a kitchen again. I know that may sound bizarre to some of you, and frankly it did to Verena too because she hasn't once used her oven apparently, but when you're eating out every single meal, you start itching to cook your own meals again. I decided on chicken marsala, because as it turned out, Verena's oven didn't work so I had to make something entirely on the burners.


Four hours later, Verena and I were eating what I think was the most delicious chicken marsala I've ever made. She marveled how good my meal was and I was so happy that I gave her something that she enjoyed so much!


I packed my things up and we both got in a cab to the bus station. Once we reached my bus, Verena and I had one of those long, lingering hugs that only real friends and family members have, and I got into my seat. Verena waited outside my bus the whole time until it took off, waving steadily as the bus pulled away, kind of the same way my parents wave to me after I've walked through the check-in area at the airport. I smiled. How awesome that after meeting someone for a few hours in Peru, she is now my good friend.


Within seconds of leaving, the bus conductor told me that there was wifi available and the above spazzout happened. Of course, I immediately emailed Verena to tell her the news. Her reaction within minutes was "Are you serious??? It's so funny that I didn't know! Enjoy wifi my friend, I already miss you!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment