| The first look... |
The Iguazu Falls are a series of monster waterfalls that are along part of the border between Argentina and Brazil. Apparently, once upon a time, after seeing them, Eleanor Roosevelt said "Poor Niagara!!”
I was a little weary about seeing them, to be honest. I wasn't scared or anything like that, but for better or for worse, I am that person who sees a natural wonder and 5 minutes says, “Okay, where to now?” That's basically what I said at the Grand Canyon when I had instead expected to have some kind of epiphany about life when I saw that massive hole in the ground.
Anyway, I boarded another bus, this one taking 19 hours, and I didn’t know a single person. I thought that maybe this would be the side trip where I finally had to deal with being totally alone, but as the bus ride came to an end, and I saw there were only 3 other people left on the bus, I asked if they had places to stay yet. The French woman did, but the other two guys, James and Will, had no idea where to stay. I told them that I had a place and they asked if they could join me. Boom - roommates.
The three of us walked to the hostel, dropped off our stuff, watched a World Cup game, and decided we’d go to bed early so we could get up at 7am to get to the park when it opened. None of us wanted to stay in Iguazu for too long because we were all short on time. We debated trying to see the falls from both the Argentina and Brazil sides, but we didn’t know if we’d be able to do that AND get a bus out that night.
| James & Will taking it all in. |
I asked the guys if we should get water ponchos so we wouldn’t get soaked. James’ response was, and I quote verbatim, “What? Why? It’s only water, it’s not going to be a big deal.”
30 minutes or so later, we had taken our not such a big deal boat ride where we were taken practically under the falls, and there was not an inch of us not saturated with water. Thanks, James. Luckily, he was the one wearing jeans as I was wearing my ugly backpacker quick-dry pants. HA!
The last thing to do at the falls was to take the train to Devil’s Throat: an area that is at the very top of the largest part of the falls. After getting off the train, you have to walk over a series of bridges, in a huge build-up, until you finally reach the main attraction.
After taking a ton of photos, Will handed James and I a coin and said, “Let’s make a wish. There’s no better place.” Will tossed his first, flipping it off his thumb. I went second, throwing mine as far out to see where I would visually lose it. Lastly, James looked at his coin, gave it a kiss, and let it fall out of his hands.
Iguazu: done.
No comments:
Post a Comment