August 19th
| The pink ladies. |
When we got to Vang Vieng yesterday, we took the afternoon to get ourselves prepared for the following days tubing experience. We found the start point for the next day, and purchased matching hot pink shirts to wear in addition to a waterproof satchel for our money and camera.
When we woke up the next morning, the rain that I had heard pounding down all night still hadn’t let up. Ugh. My mind flashed back to last summer when I went tubing with a group of my softball teammates and it rained the whole time. It hadn’t exactly been what I’d expected it to be then, and assumed that today would be similar.
But then again, this wouldn’t be the same kind of tubing as last year... Last year was just what it sounded like - tubing. We sat in tubes as we floated down the river, accompanied by our coolers filled with food and drinks, and stopped only once to go off a rope swing on the side of the river. The tubing in Laos is a different beast. It really shouldn’t be called ‘tubing’ at all, because really all it ends up being is a bar crawl and you get from one bar to the next via a tube in the river.
| Into the water! Bar #1! |
The first stop before we actually hit the water was, of course, a bar. The word ‘bar’ should be used loosely, because really it was just a platform a story or so above the water, with stairs on one side to climb up, a water slide on the other to go down, a small bar with one bartender, and a plastic tarp above acting as a roof. At least we’d be shielded from the rain.
| A sign telling you to drink BEFORE you jump. Safety first! |
| My first swing: note the pointed toes! |
10 minutes later, and half of a bucket down, I convinced one of my friends to do the swing with me. We headed up the tree, climbing the completely unsafe and slanted stairs until we reached the top. I gave advice that I thought sounded sage and watched Carola go before getting the swing into my hands. I went right away, channeling my inner gymnast, pointed my feet, and jumped off of the platform.
| Bar #2. |
When we got back to the bar again, the crowd was pretty big and we all started mingling. I ended up talking with 3 Green Berets who were vacationing from Okinowa for a while as backpackers who were working for working for various bars in town tied different strings and bandanas around our wrists, thus giving us entrance later. Things got a little crazy. A Green Beret went off the swing without clothes on, other people started getting daring by doing flips and hanging upside down, and next thing we knew, almost 3 hours had past.
Bar #4: Beer pong! Having mastered this game before, I formed a team with a guy who had already been playing while a pink lady joined his friend. We played a few games as one of the Green Berets stood by the side of the table yelling that I had “to represent!” while I played this American drinking game. My team won. At some point when we were here, the rain finally let up.
Bar #5: We skipped that one too. We were running out of time.
| Rocking at beer pong. |
We all gathered together, comparing our new cuts and head off to hand in our tubes. We lost part of our deposit because the tubes were brought it past 6pm, and we shrugged because taking our time had been worth it.
I found out today that there are people who stay in Vang Vieng and tube for multiple days in a row. To these people I say: You must be alcoholics. One day was enough for me, thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment